Monday, August 22, 2011

Orange Juice Cookies


Do you know what I saw the other day when I was driving? A tree whose leaves were already changing colors. The nerve! How did this tree not know that it isn't even labor day yet?  Although I love fall, that impatient season really needs to back up off my summer. Granted, fall lasts just about as long as spring does in New England, and that would be about 5 minutes. I get it, it wants it's time to shine, but I ask with all sincerity, in fact I'm pleading, please can you just wait?!

In a desperate attempt to hold on to summer as long as I can, I am sharing with you one of my favorite cookies. Orange juice cookies are light, fluffy and remind me so much of summer because of their subtle citrus flavor. One batch makes an unnecessary amount of cookies. The Angel on your shoulder will tell you to share them - the devil will whine, "But they're sooo good!"

My grandmother makes these cookies all the time - but bakes them longer until they're a little more dry & hard, like a biscotti. My mother makes her version softer, fluffier, and edible without the need for a dunking partner.

Recipe after the break....


Orange Juice Cookies

4 eggs
2 C. Sugar
16 tbsp. Shortening
1 C. Orange Juice
1 tsp. Vanilla
1 tsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. almond extract
8 tsp. baking powder
5 C. Flour
Confectioner's Sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl combine sugar, shortening, eggs, vanilla, lemon & almond extract. Beat until fluffy.

In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder & orange juice. Mix well.

Combine both mixtures. Roll dough into 1.5" balls, then roll in confectioners' sugar before placing them on a greased cookie sheet.

Bake for 8-10 minutes. Bottoms will be slightly golden.



No comments:

Post a Comment