Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Raspberry Shortbread Bars - Prepare Yourself to Be Hugged.



I make these tasty raspberry bars whenever possible. Mostly because they're quick, easy and a cinch to clean up. Even better than all of that, I have made them so many times that the recipe is burned into my brain.

I'm so often asked for the recipe, but shy away from divulging my oh-so-simple secret. Well, here it is! I'm admitting publicly how simple they are to make - but don't be fooled. Although the ingredients are few, the flavor is multi-faceted. Perfect mix of salty, buttery, savory sweetness.

Try them for yourself. They are great to pack & go for any event - a definite crowd pleaser. The perfect summer cookout treat - pairs great with lemonade!

Warning: Any one who comes in contact with these will instantly feel compelled to hug you.


Raspberry Shortbread Bars

2 1/4 C. Flour
1 C. Sugar
1 C. Butter
1 egg
Pinch of Salt
Raspberry Jam (your choice, I prefer seedless)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

Line the inside of a 9 x 9" pan with aluminum foil. Grease lightly.

In a large bowl, combine sugar, flour, butter, egg & salt. Mix thoroughly until it forms a ball of dough. If dough is too sticky, add a little more flour.

Leave about 1/5 of the dough in the bowl. Spread the rest of the dough along the bottom of the pan to form a crust.

Spread a thin layer of raspberry jam over the top of the shortbread batter. Break up the remaining dough into small pieces over the jam layer.

Bake for 40 minutes or until crust & top is slightly golden. Let cool & cut into bars.

Enjoy!


3 comments:

  1. I made these tonight, they are amazing! I had to use two round pans because I didn't have a 9x9 but it didn't make a difference, aside from the shape. So easy and yummy, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alyssa, so glad you liked them! These are my signature quick & easy dessert. When people have cookouts, get together, etc. - these get specifically requested.

    ENJOY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing! I will be baking these for a potluck tomorrow!☺

    ReplyDelete